The UU Innovation Mentor Programme
In UU Innovation's mentor programme, two worlds meet around a common goal - to develop research results for wider use and value-creating societal benefits.
Researchers and PhD students are matched with experienced mentors from the business community who are handpicked to tailor individual needs in the best possible ways. The mentors' role is to contribute with new perspectives, knowledge and contacts that give the researcher's idea an extra boost.
Spot your idea!
Maybe you already have a concrete idea that you want to test and develop further in collaboration with a mentor? Or do you need help identifying what ideas you create in your research? No problem! Get started by taking UU Innovation's self-test. It will help you identify interesting and potentially valuable results from your work, which is the very beginning of formulating an idea with potential to create value in society. To the self-test
Good things to know about UU Innovation's mentor programme
- Programme provided: Twice a year, with program start in either February or September.
- Programme periods: February to November and September to May, respectively.
- The programme includes: Six individual meetings with your mentor. Kick-off and final session with all researchers and mentors in the programme. In addition, a workshop specifically focused on the art of networking smartly and efficiently.
- Application period for the spring start 2023: 1 October - 15 November 2022. Application is closed.
- Application period for the autumn start 2023: 1 April - 15 May, 2023.
Application will open 1 April, 2023.
- Who can apply: Researchers and PhD students from all disciplinary domains at Uppsala University who have a research-based idea that has the potential to create value in society. You have the will and the opportunity to invest time and commitment to take your idea forward together with a mentor. In addition, you need to be affiliated with the University during the course of the programme and not submit your dissertation during the programme period.
- Free of charge: The programme is part of the support UU Innovation offers and thus always free of charge.
- Contact: If you have any questions or simply want more information, please get in touch with Hillevi Englund, Frida Henningson Johnson or Nhils Forslund. If you are already in contact with an advisor with us, you can also contact her/him with your questions.
Gain new contacts and insights based on your needs
UU Innovation's mentor programme gives you the opportunity to work with an experienced and dedicated mentor to:
- Expand your knowledge and understanding of value creation from research-based ideas
- Broaden your network outside of academia
- Test the potential value of your idea
- Accelerate the development of your innovation project
We will match you with a mentor who we think will best suit you and your needs.
Meetings with your mentor
You are in charge of your development with your mentor as your support, catalyst and facilitator. The programme includes six individual meetings with your mentor and you take the initiative to book these meetings. In focus of your meetings are the challenges and questions you want to discuss in relation to your idea and how to develop it further. If needed, UU Innovation can contribute with suggestions on topics to discuss.
As support throughout the programme, you and your mentor have a working document that helps to focus on the key issues in transforming research results into new solutions that create value. Based on your interest and long-term goals, you and your mentor will work either with an "impact planning canvas" that focuses on the broader societal benefits of research or with a "lean canvas" that has a clearer focus on business development.
The very best thing is being about to bounce questions off someone who has a lot of experience in a field relevant to the idea I’m developing. It helps me tremendously to gain much broader insight into what is needed in my future development work. I hope to commercialise my idea and there are many steps in that process that I want to learn.
Liza Löf, researcher at the Department of Immunology, Genetics and Pathology
I have developed a new technology; Secretion Effect Detection (SED), which I think may be of interest to the biopharmaceutical industry. Coming from academia, I lacked the experience needed to move forward with SED in a good way so for me, UU Innovation's advisors together with my mentor are invaluable in the support they provide to transform SED into an innovation that is useful to society.
Daniel Camsund, researcher at the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Getting a mentor has given me a different perspective on my approach to the topic as well as connections to many people from different industries. By discussing and structuring my idea, I have discovered aspects of my work that I have not thought of before.
Helga Müllneritsch, postdoc in German at the Department of Modern Languages
Parallel support from UU Innovation
When joining the UU Innovation Mentor Programme, you have the opportunity to develop faster and further with your idea with the support of a mentor. At the same time, you will continue to receive support from UU Innovation's advisers in parallel with joining the programme. Twice as good in other words!
Apply to the UU Innovation Mentor Programme
Take the opportunity to broaden your horizons as well as your contact network while you get a unique chance to develop your knowledge and your innovation project together with an experienced and dedicated mentor.
Application for the spring 2023 round of the mentor programme is closed. The next application round for the mentor programme will open on 1 April, 2023. If you are interested in applying, please contact us for help in getting your idea off the ground. If you have started working on your idea by the time it's time to apply, you have a better chance of being accepted to the programme.
Open the door to the UU Innovation Mentor Programme
You may be wondering how you can join the UU Innovation Mentor Programme?
The starting point is that you have an idea or a research result that you think could create added value. What's more, you want to explore the potential further and have made a first contact with UU Innovation to discuss your idea.
Do you need help spotting your idea?
No problem, we will help you! As long as you have the drive to putting your research to use in society, we will help you explore which of your results have the potential to create added value, which is the very basis for being able to formulate an idea for further development.
Tip: Take UU Innovation's quick self-test as a first step! Take me to the test
Meet some of the previous participants in the UU Innovation Mentor Programme.
Do you want to become a mentor?
Do you want to help innovations from Uppsala University grow? Do you have experience that can help researchers develop their results towards the market?